A Valentine's Day story

It likely won’t come as much of a surprise that I don’t routinely consider feature stories for our lead. They don’t call us “The Daily Crimes” for nothing.

When people ask me why we so often focus on crime stories as our tops story, I give them my standard response: “Because that’s what people read.”

So when I was considering our options to lead the paper today, I had several stories in mind.

Yes, I was aware that today is Valentine’s Day. Despite what my wife might tell you.

It’s not that I’m not romantic, it’s just that I’m not sure for the most part they are lead material. My initial plan was to use a skybox at the top of Page 1 to “tease” today’s Valentine’s Day story detailing the relationship of Rose and Joe Julien. During one of our daily news budget meetings, I was asked if I had considered leading with it.

I had not. Considered it, that is. I didn’t really want to.

Then I read Rose Quinn’s story.

As soon as I started reading, a headline popped into my hed. Yes, I still form headlines every time I read a story. Some habits are hard to break.

This one was pretty easy: Love Conquers All. This you have today's front page.

Rose and Joe have been together now for more than three decades. It is not that so much that makes their story so memorable, but rather the roadblocks and struggles they’ve overcome along the way.

Their story is plastered all over our front page.

Maybe I’m getting sentimental in my old age.

But I love the story.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

 

Comments