Cursing my fate

Cursing my fate

We have entered the season of Lent. Which means I am once again in the process of trying to swear off cursing.
It’s not easy. I’ve already failed a number of times since Ash Wednesday. This should not be this hard. After all, I make a living with words. My problem stems from verbal cuss words, not putting them into print.
More and more, that is not the case. In my print column this week, I take a look at our slowly lowering standards for what passes as writing, especially the variety so often practiced online. Here’s a hint. LOL and OMG are not writing.
Neither is the world’s most popular four-letter word. And it’s s-word counterpart.
When exactly did such coarse dialog become socially acceptable? The nuns who instilled a love of language and formal writing in me would be rolling over in their graves.
I explain it all here.

Comments