The editor makes a horse's patoot of himself

First things first today. I have a correction.

Not sure exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my print column that appeared Monday and indicated Middletown horse racing legend and Delco icon Sam Riddle owned Seabiscuit.

My father, a man who lived and breathed horse racing every day of his life, likely is turning over in his grave.

Riddle obviously owned War Admiral, the East Coast wonder horse that ruled the sport until the upstart West Coast Biscuit appeared on the scene and its enigmatic owner Charles Howard challenged Riddle to a match race with War Admiral.

Hell, they only made a movie out of it.

I obviously know Riddle did not own Seabiscuit.

Sorry about that, dad.

Even though I hate making mistakes, I do find they have one redeeming quality. They remind me how much people care about this newspaper. Thank you to all the people who called and emailed Monday to inform me of my brain cramp.

I suppose I owe an apology to old Sam Riddle as well. My guess is he about died all over again in learning that his hometown paper confused him with Howard, and his legendary horse with Seabiscuit.

The movie did not treat Riddle especially well. Neither did I.

That’s a mistake I won’t make again soon.

Comments