A new hero for those 50 and up

I have a new hero. No, not Gil Spencer, although I have to admit I admire his decision to walk away from his columnist slot here at the Daily Times and start a new career. And also a little bit envious.

Gil and I are about the same age.

Which makes us a decade older than Bernard Hopkins.

Forget George Foreman, B-Hop, as he’s known to Philly sports fans, has given new meaning to that old saw that age is only a number. When it comes to sports, age happens to be a very important number. You simply are not supposed to be doing what Hopkins is doing when you’re approaching 50.

On Saturday night, Hopkins won another world title with a unanimous decision over Tavoris Cloud for the IBF light-heavyweight title. Cloud is 31, making him 17 years Hopkins’ junior.

Hopkins becomes the oldest world boxing champion in history.

Hopkins says he just might fight until he’s 50. I don’t doubt him.

Not for one second. And especially not for any of the 10 years older than Hopkins I happen to be.

Let me add my salute, Bernard.

You made us proud.

Comments