Our columnist slot changes with the Times

This newspaper, and this website, is a little different this morning. Gil Spencer doesn’t work here anymore.

I started at the Daily Times in 1982. Gil got here about a year later. We both started out working on the news desk. A few years later, when editor Stu Rose decided he wanted to develop a local columnist, Gil marched into his office and said he wanted the job.

A Delco legend was born.

Three decades later, Gil has decided to move on and try his hand at a few new things.

He wrote about it on Sunday.

Today, it’s my turn. Make sure you check out my print column.

I cant tell you how much I - and I believe our readers - are going to miss Gil.

If you don’t understand just how passionate readers were about Gil, make sure you check out the comments posted on his swansong piece on DelcoTimes. I loved every reading every one of them, even the ones who suggested he please take the editor with him.

Yes, it helps to have a pretty thick skin in this business. Your reputation is on the line every day, with everything you write.

Speaking of writing, just because Gil will no longer be holding down the fort on Page Six, don’t think for a minute that we’re going to be any less opnionated about what is going on here in Delaware County.

Stay tuned this week as we roll out some new voices.

Yes, it will take at least two people to replace Spencer.

But I think you’ll like what they have to say.

Stay tuned.

Comments