Putting a spring back in his step

I did something this weekend I have not done in months. And I’m not talking about ‘springing’ ahead. Actually, I am.

I sat outside and read the paper.

I know, it doesn’t sound like that big a deal, but you’d be amazed at the difference it makes.

Saturday was especially nice, with a clear blue sky and that odd, big yellow ball in the sky. My wife and I changed up our normal weekend routine and took an even longer walk than normal on one of the local trails.

As usual I wore about 1,000 layers. That’s because I am almost always cold. So about halfway through our walk I did something else I haven’t done in months. I was sweating. It felt great.

When we got home I immediately opened the garage door, grabbed a chair and plopped it down on the walk in front of our house. Then I sat there and read while soaking up some glorious sunshine.

Not a laptop. Not my iPad. I put the phone down. I sat outside and devoured real newsprint. Yes, we still print them. It was divine.

When I polished off the four newspapers I routinely take home with me (yes, it doesn’t bother me at all to go through the Friday papers on Saturday morning) I actually did still one more thing I haven’t done in months. I ventured into the back yard. I spend a lot of time there in the summer, but it is abandoned once the weather turns. I glance longinly at it most days from the back windows as I count down the days to spring. 

I scooped up all the branches and twigs lying about the yard, evidence of a very windy week. It felt good to get my hands dirty again.

Sunday was not quite as nice, the sun was not as bright or strong, but I still couldn’t resist sitting outside with the Sunday paper.

Tonight I will complete this early spring ritual with still one more thing I have not done since last fall. I will drive home in daylight. That, of course, is courtesy of the return to Daylight Saving Time.

Time ‘March’-es on. Spring can’t be far off.

Adios winter. Yes, I know you likely will make your presence known a few more times before spring really arrives. I know that the temperatures will get cold again, and I will curse the notion of putting up with this for five months.

But I also know that spring is coming. I was reminded of that this weekend. I guess I could lament why we make this sacrifice every year, when other parts of the country see no need to end their outdoor activities.

But that is for another day. Likely later this week when temperatures are expected to again dip into the 40s.

For now, I'll take any hint of spring wherever I can find it. It doesn’t take a lot to make me happy. Sun and warmer temperatures helps.

Comments