Why it's Paddy, not Patty. Ever

Since we’re entering the St. Paddy’s Day weekend, I will issue this annual reminder to my friend County Councilman John McBlain.

It is in fact Paddy. Not Patty. Ever.

Over the past couple of years the councilman and I - both proud Irishmen - have debated the correct perjorative to refer to Ireland’s famous patron and the day to regal all things Irish.

For years John would always call me to chide me about the newspaper's use of Paddy in referencing the holiday. He believed it was a slur on the Irish, referring to the “paddywagon” that some wind up in after perhaps a wee bit too much celebrating.

I demurred. And I went looking for an answer.

I found it on the website PaddynotPatty.com.

They laid out some simple ground rules.

It’s OK to refer to St. Patrick’s Day. St. Pat’s even passes muster.

But it’s never St. Patty’s.

They point out that Patty is a burger, while Paddy derives from the Irish name Padraig, their version of Peter.

There you have it.

Paddy not Patty. Ever.

By the way, there will be lots of spirit on tap Saturday in Springfield when the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade steps off.

Happy St. Paddy’s Day to all. You too, John!

Comments