87 reasons to love Cliff Lee

I've got the number 87 in my head today.

First, that's the number of wins I predicted for the Phillies this year. Maybe if Cliff Lee pitches every game.

Lee was outstanding for the second straight start last night, as the Phillies rolled to an 8-3 rout of the Mets. He wasn't as good as he was in his first start last week against the Braves, but he got plenty of support as the Phils' bats came alive, including hitting three home runs in one inning. Ryan Howard hit his first homer of the season, and he was followed by dingers from Michael Young and John Mayberry.

Most importantly, Lee did something else that Phillies starters have not been doing this year. He gave them innings. Lee came within an out of tossing a complete game. Manager Charlie Manuel no doubt will hear some second-guessers wondering why he sent Lee back out there to pitch the ninth. He won't hear it from me. I'll take all the Cliff Lee I can get.

Check out Dennis Deitch's take on the game here.

The other reason 87 is on my mind? Have you been outside yet? It's going to be another summer-like day out there today, with a high of 87 predicted.

How nice is it? I ditched my long underwear for the first time in months. Now the only question is whether I will have to revert to winter mode later this week. For now, enjoy.

Hey, we could be living in Denver. Yesterday they had lows in the teens along with a foot of snow. That storm is slowly rumbling across the country, and likely will make our weekend a little cooler, but there is no snow in the forecast.

Those groans you hear are from the local TV stations who can't resist showing us pictures of the freak storm hammering the country's midsection.

Comments