Phillies continue to prove to be offensive

For the past several years, I've wondered if the Phillies incredible success at their tony little bandbox of a stadium in South Philly was due to the fact that the team was a World Series contender every year, or if people simply were going because the place had become party central during the summer.

I guess we're getting our answer.

The most important number to come out of last night's latest Phillies disheartening loss at Citizens Bank Park was not the 2-0 score, wasting a very good outing from Cole Hamels. Nor was it the 0-3 mark Hamels is now lugging around, along with that new big bucks contract he signed.

The Phillies managed just four hits. It was the third time in the last eight games they've been shut out.

John Mayberry tripled to lead off the fourth. I kind of joked to myself if they would be able to get him home. It was no joke.  It looked pretty good when Domonic Brown was plunked with a pitch, putting runners at the corners with no one out. It looked a little less likely when Mayberry broke for home on a grounder to third, and was dead meat. Of course Eric Katz then hit into an inning-ending double play.

Yes, the Phillies continue to be impotent when it comes to hitting with runners in scoring position.

But none of this is the number that most interested me from last night. Did you notice the attendance? Sure, it was another very cool night. But only 31,002 people went through the turnstiles.

I guess I have my answer.

Tickets, get your Phillies tickets. Haven't heard that in awhile.

Comments