The future of communications in good hands at Neumann University

I get asked all the time if I am concerned about my industry and where it is going.

As soon as I figure that out I will let you know. By the way, if you happen to know where the media as we know it is headed, please feel free to let me know.

But I was reassured that the industry will be in very good hands after I attended a very special ceremony last night at Neumann University.

The occasion was the induction ceremony for the Psi Phil Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Honor Society.

Actually, it was a payback on my part. Karen Thomas, an instructor at Neumann who probably is better known for her work as weather anchor on Fox-29 and NBC10, was nice enough to invite me.

Again.

I was supposed to attend and speak to the group last year, but for one of the very few times in my life I was really sick and didn't make it.

I was bound and determined to get there last night, and I was glad I did.

I got to meet a lot of young people with a very bright future in communications. This year's Lambda Pi Eta Inductees are: Suzanne Berstler; Marguerite DeGrassa (daughter of our weekly editor Peg DeGrassa!); Nancy Dinh; Katharine Fryling; Kiriakoula Gregor; Kya Johnson; Deandra Patterson; Kathleen Poliski; JayDa Rawls; Lauren Sherman; and Katherine Sullivan.

Special guest Pat Ciarrocchi, longtime anchor and reporter at CBS-3, gave a great speech that tied in today's news and latest headlines to the challenge these kids face as they head out into the world. I think they're more than up to the challenge.

I also got a chance to chat with one of my favorite people in Delaware County. Neumann President Dr. Rosalie Mirenda reminds me every time we speak of the important function of institutions like Neumann, places that are melding our future citizens.

And, of course, our future journalists.

The business will be in good hands. Just as long as Neumann keeps cranking out kids like these.

Comments