Summer remains a rumor: A wild, cold ride into work

Maybe summer really isn't coming this year.

Look, I know this puts me out of the mainstream, but I like my weather like my wife - hot (Happy Mother's Day, babe!).

Not just hot, but humid. I mean the kind of air you can cut with a knife. The thicker the better. My idea of a great night is tossing on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt, sitting on the deck listening to the Phillies game on the radio, all the while serenaded by the crickets and the other sounds of summer.

So as you can imagine this has been a bit of a disappointing spring. I tried to sit out on the deck again yesterday morning with the Sunday paper. No dice. Too cold. And the wind was blowing about 100 mph.

Now they're talking about frost tonight. I'm not kidding. Attention if you have planted flowers or veggies. I'm planning to haul all my planters and hanging baskets into the garage tonight. Luckily I don't have that much actually in the ground.

They say we'll be lucky to hit 60 today, then dive into the 30s tonight. There is a frost advisory posted for tomorrow morning. Swell.

It certainly seems to have confused the critters out there. I had something happen to me today I have not encountered in 30 years of making this drive. I swerve around deer all the time, but nothing like what happened this morning.

I had to deal with a slalom-like course through the deer on my way in. One was standing on the right hand shoulder of the road, so I started to move to the left. That's when I noticed the deer standing right in the middle of the left-hand lane. I shut my eyes and hit the gas. I had nowhere else to go. If that deer had darted across the right-hand lane, I would have nailed it - or him me. Luckily, he never moved.

Then a little while later I came within a whisker of taking out a raccoon as he scampered across the road.

I've had a couple of mishaps involving cars recently. It makes me wonder if I'm getting old, or maybe just forgetful. I seem to have suddenly become a distracted driver, the kind I am always complaining about. Maybe I just need to focus on the road a bit more. At least in the morning, when the wildlife insists on making every drive into work an adventure.

Summer can't get here soon enough.

Comments