Summer remains a rumor

Well, that was certainly a short summer.

Yes, my teeth were chattering as I made my way out to the car this morning.

But then again, I had an inkling of what was coming last night. My wife and I have lived in our house for 29 years. Every year, we plant flowers the week of Mother's Day. Last night we found ourselves covering our flowers, and bringing in the planters and hanging baskets. It's the first time we've ever done it.

And this is in the middle of May. I don't think we actually got a frost overnight, but it was cold. The overnight low was expected to dip into the mid-30s. Today, while it will be sunny, is expected to only see a high in the 60s. I still have not had a single night where I have ventured out onto the deck when I got home from work. Still too cold.

The normal high temperature this time of year should be in the mid-70s. We won't get a sniff of that today. Temperatures at the Phillies game tonight will start at about 60 and then dip into the mid-50s.

Which is just as well. It's not like I'm going to be sitting on the deck listening to the game. For one thing, I've got to haul all those planters and pots out of the garage.

They say it will get warmer later in the week, with a high in the low 80s on Thursday and then in the high 70s through the weekend.

About time.

Comments