That Upper Darby school bus video

I have no idea how much they pay their bus drivers and monitors in the Upper Darby School District.

I do know this: It's not enough.

A video popped up yesterday that you have to see to believe. It depicts some kids on an Upper Darby school bus.

I first learned of it the way I learn most things these days, someone emailed it to me. During the day, I got any number of tweets and Facebook posts alerting me to the video, which was posted to YouTube.

Don't look for the video here. We are not posting it. I don't know how we could. It is one string of expletives after another, including what appears to be a physical confrontation between the student and a monitor.

These aren't high school kids. I don't even think they're middle schoolers. These are elementary students.

Things got so bad on the bus ride that the driver was forced to pull over and call police. Haverford officers responded and talked to the youths involved.

I'm not quite sure how to describe what I saw and heard on that video. I know that as a society we have gotten coarser, and profanity seems to be more and more an accepted part of our vocabularies. But it still didn't prepare me to see the stream of filth coming from kids that couldn't be more than 7 or 8 years old. And directing it at adults.

The bus was transporting 11 students, seven from Upper Darby and four from Haverford, to an out-of-district approved school.

As word spread throughout the day, the school district eventually issued a statement. You can read our story here.

I'm not really sure what to say. I'm still trying to come to grips with what I saw on that video. I wonder how can something like that happen? How can a kid use that kind of language? How can he have that little respect for adults or any authority?

I suppose I'm going to be criticized for not posting the video on our website. I'm sure it would have drawn a lot of traffic.

It would have had to have been heavily edited. Once you take out all the F-bombs and other expletives, then shield the identity of those involved, there wouldn't be much left.

Only sadness. How can this happen? I wish someone could answer that question. I don't know if the video is still out there on You Tube. The school district actually asked the website to take it down. I don't blame them. I didn't watch the whole thing.

I saw more than enough.

And I'm still shaking my head.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's what kids see and live at home. It's all they know. Very sad.
Anonymous said…
Only word is TROUBLING !! I watched the Fox 29 video also. The Haverford Police department is not filing charges since no official crime was committed. I hope Upper Darby School District does something to these students and fine the Parents. And just Maybe the parents might actually realize they have an issue. Parents need to wake up and stop saying " Not My Kid " And start parenting and stop expecting schools and others to teach their kids.
Anonymous said…
Shame on Upper Darby School Dist for allowing this to go on! We have been in school since September It's obvious this has been going on that a child had to video tape.Those children should NEVER drive on a district bus again!Had the aid put her hands on the child.The parents would be involved in a second with their hands out waiting for a pay out from the school dist and the aide!But yet it was the other way around and he is reprimanded verbaly and able to go on terrorizing authority figures and other children!What a disgrace on the districts part!!!!
My dogs behave better than that horrible little foul mouth boy. His parents need to wake up, unfortunately it's to far gone at this point.
Unknown said…
I was at a Little League game the other day and a coach, the parent of one of the boys, got so mad at the ump that he threw down his clipboard and screamed a profanity right in front of the children.... 9 and 10 year olds. Mine was one of them. If we can't set a better example as parents and control our tongues, what kind of adults are our children going to grow up to become?!!!
It's very clear that the child causing most of the problem has serious emotional issues. Don't be so quick to condemn him or his parents until you've walked a mike in their shoes.
Anonymous said…
THE KIDS USE THAT LANGUAGE BECAUSE THERE PARENTS USE THAT HOME, I WAS A BUS DRIVER AIDE AND HAD TO STOP A 16YR OLD FROM HITTING THE BUS DRIVER IN THE HEAD COMING DOWN THE BLUE ROUTE.IT'S TIME THEY DO SOMETHING BEFORE SOME ONE GET'S SERIOUSLY HURT.THE CHIEF.

Bob said…
You could have posted the video source and not edit out the swearing. You are clearly heavily restricted ion the things you post by DelcoTimes. Real journalism is raw, and uncut. That shows the full truth.