The very sad case of Sarah Murnaghan

I continue to be torn about the case of little Sarah Murnaghan.

The 10-year-old from Newtown Square has rocketed to the top of the national health care debate. She is suffering from end-stage and needs a lung transplant. But because she's only 10 she doesn't qualify for the adult donor list. There's a lot more adult lungs available that could possibly save her life.

That story is here.

What Sarah's parents want is for the feds, in particular Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, to change the policy and let little Sarah get an adult transplant.

While Sebelius has indicated she would like to see the policy reviewed,  yesterday she said she would not intervene.

It's a very tough call. I don't blame the Murnaghan family a bit. If it was my daughter, and I was fighting for her life, I would feel exactly the same way.

But I also can see Sebelius' point.

One interesting point. I do find it a bit interesting that so many people who want the government out of their health care business, and who have been trashing Obamacare now for years, have no qualms about calling on Sebelius to step in and change the policy.

As I said, a very tough call.

 

Comments