The World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band

I've never actually seen the Rolling Stones. I did hear them once.

It was the summer of '78. Yes, that was a lifetime ago. At least.

The bad boys of rock were in the midst of a stadium tour after the release of their Some Girls album.

They didn't do Denver, instead they came to the Folsom Field on the campus of the University of Colorado in Boulder.

As it happens, I was finishing my last semester in college and was about to graduate and try to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

I didn't have the money for Stones tix, so I did the next best thing. I decided to hang out outside the stadium. I'm glad I did. No, I did not see Mick prancing, Keef grinding or any of the other Stones' antics.

But I heard everything, including what is clearly the best introduction in rock music history: Ladies and gentlemen, the world's great rock 'n' roll band, The Rolling Stones. Usually followed by a thunderous roar and the most famous guitar notes in music history, Keith Richards pounding out the intro to 'Satisfaction.'

I didn't see any of if. All I heard was the music. That was enough. On that summer afternoon, they just might have been the world's greatest rock band, at least this side of the E Street Band.

I'm not sure laid-back Boulder was completely prepared for the Stones. Part of the fun of the day was seeing the people stream into town. The Stones attracted - how would you describe them? - an interesting crowd. Heavy on the bikers.

Everywhere you looked around the stadium there seemed to be a Harley.

A few weeks later, I put all my earthly belongings in the back of a pickup truck, pointed it east on I-70, and headed back East - and home. I'm embarrarssed to say I've never been back. I can't exactly explain why. I guess life got in the way.

A few weeks after that I started working as a stringer for the Record in Coatesville. It shares something in common with all too many newspapers these days. It no longer exists.

But I was there long enough to meet my wife. She worked in advertising. I was in the newsroom.

Today, June 18, we are marking 30 years of wedded bliss. We're still going. So, amazingly, are the Stones.

As fate would have it, the Stones are in Philly tonight. When I saw the dates announced, I joked with my wife that we should celebrate our anniversary by going to the Stones show at the Wells Fargo Center tonight.

She passed. So I've still never actually seen the Stones.

But I did hear them once. Before I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Before I met my wife. Before spending 30 years walking into the same building here in Primos to work. Before the 30th anniversary of saying I do.

Satisfaction? Yeah, I've had my share.

 

Comments