Heat takes a nasty turn for roofers

I was actually considering rolling out one of my old summer favorites for today's front page. The days of the week and Mother Nature were combining for the perfect "Fry-Day" Page One hammer.

That all changed early yesterday afternoon when this brutal heat wave took a very serious turn. Several roofers doing a job on the roof of the Chichester Middle School were overcome. Emergency responders were doing a rescue. You can get all the details here.

Think you were hot yesterday? Imagine being on a roof working with tar that can reach upwards of 400 degrees.

Thankfully, all the workers appear to be OK.

In the meantime, make sure you're contributing to our live blog as the heat wave rolls on. Give us your pictures and videos. The heat wave is not expected to break until Saturday night.

How hot is it? Well, if you read this column at all, you'll know that I am not a big fan of air-conditioning. I tolerate it at work, but I actually like this kind of weather. The hotter and more humid, the better I like it.

But when I left the office last night, I have to admit that even I considered switching on the air in the car. Somehow, I managed to make it home with the windows open.

Amazingly, when I got back in the car to head in this morning, it felt even worse. You know it's summer when you open the front door and the air hits you like a warm, wet rag.

Hey, look on the bright side, we get the Phillies back tonight. I'll be the guy sitting out on the deck listening to the game. Now if I could just keep those pesky skeeters away.

 

Comments