Life Without Electricity

It's amazing what we take for granted every day.

When I open my eyes in the morning (usually long before the alarm goes off), I expect to be able to look at the clock on my nightstand and see how  many more precious minutes I have until I have to get up and start the day. I have long ago lost the ability to "sleep in." I usually am in a dead sleep for a couple of hours early, then I'm pretty much up for a couple of fitful final hours.

My usual habit is to keep glancing at the clock to keep tabs on the time.

Not last night.

Nothing.

Just black.

That's because we had lost power at some point in the night, courtesy of the deluge that dumped several more inches of rain on the region, along with a pretty impressive thunder and lightning show.

Apparently, at least according to my kids, the alarm clock is pretty much a thing of the past. They use their phone for that duty these days. Is there anything you can't use your phone for today? And if there is, I am sure it will only be a few minutes before someone designs "an app for that."

I'm old school. I wear an Indiglo watch to bed, so I didn't need to look for the phone to determine what time it was. Luckily, I still had an hour to lie in bed and ponder the day ahead.

That's about the extent of the good news. Ever try to exist in your house without electric? It's not as easy as you might think, as I learned this morning.

Luckily, I am pretty much used to getting up and around in the dark. My wife doesn't get up until later, so my normal early-morning routine is to pretty much function in the dark. Yes, there are a lot of people who insist I do that pretty much all day.

I can maneuver around the room, grab my radio and head downstairs. Yes, I still have an old AM/FM portable radio. It - along with KYW Newsradio - has been my faithful morning companion for years. That old battery-operated radio has been stronger than any storm to hit us for 30 years.

It is the first thing I do every morning. Once I'm on the stairs (and out of earshot for my wife) I flip on the radio to see if the world has survived since I slid into my coma-like state the night before.

Having successfully navigated the stairs I glanced outside. Yep, looked like the whole neighborhood was in the dark.

But as I strode toward the kitchen, panic set in. Not when I flipped on the light switch only to be reminded that was a luxury I was now living without. I'm talking something much more important than that. I'm talking coffee.

I realized the second thing I do every morning was going to be a problem. No, not the bathroom. That's third on my list.

No electric, no java. For a second, I was panic-stricken. I actually considered getting in my car and making a quick Wawa run, but I didn't know if they would have power either.

I glumly headed back up the steps, and wondered how I was supposed to get ready for work without lights. My wife informed me that the battery-powered lantern she acquired from her mother during one of last winter's storm was downstairs in the laundry room.

I manged to wash my face and hair, then realized there would be no blow-dry this morning. I think I will survive.

I carried the lantern into the closet and grabbed a shirt, tie and pants. I hope the hell they match.

When I finally stepped outside and was walking to the car, a weird thing happened. At first I thought the power came back on. It almost seemed like it was getting light out. Then I looked up. There in the sky (which had obviously cleared) was one of the most amazing moons I have ever seen, able to clearly light up the darkened neighborhood.

I got into the car, turned the key, and smiled as the dash lights came on. Amazing what a little light can do.

From there I made a beeline to the Wawa. This morning it was 24 ounces. After all I had some catching up to do. I usually polish off two large mugs before I leave the house, and have my commuter mug with me for the ride into the office.

I rail a lot about the technology I have to deal with every day.

Electricity would not be one of them. It comes in pretty handy.

I can survive without a lot of things. Coffee is not one of them.

The day can only get better from here.

Comments