Royalty in the UK - Mickelson of course

There's big news out of the UK!

No, not the expected birth of their first child for Princess Kate and Prince William. In case you  haven't heard, the Duchess of Cambridge is in labor and has been taken to the hospital.

Yeah, I'm on the edge of my seat, too.

I have never quite gotten the whole Royal Family thing. Pretty good gig, if you can get it though.

I was much more interested in the other royalty from the UK this weekend. That would be golf royalty, and another bauble in the crown of Phil Mickelson.

This comes from a decided non-Mickelson fan. The final round 66 he put together Sunday to come from five strokes back and win the British Open at Muirfield is one of the great rounds of golf in the history of the Majors.

My guy Tiger once again never got it going on Sunday.

But Phil hit some shots late in the round, including a three-wood from 300 yards out that he ran onto the green and set up a birdie on 17, that were just exquisite. Maybe even royal. He followed that up with a gorgeous iron approach to  10 feet on 18.

Mickelson birdied four of the final six holes.

I'm not really sure why I've never warmed up Mickelson. But I'm starting to come around. He seems like a really nice guy. And right now, he is indisputably the best golfer on the planet.

Yes, Tiger is still ranked No. 1. Phil checks in at No. 2. I didn't realize until I heard driving in this morning that Mickelson has never been ranked No. 1. I guess that is what happens when you hit your peak at the same time as the best golfer of all time.

But make no mistake. There was new royalty crowned in Scotland this weekend. And it wasn't Tiger.

Cheerio, Phil!

Comments