Erickson will not be easy to replace

In this line of work, I get to meet a lot of elected officials.

I'll let you know when I find a better, more decent one than Ted Erickson.

On Friday Erickson, 74, announced that he would not seek another term in the state Senate. He did it with the kind of humility that was his trademark.

"It's time to let somebody else take over the seat," Erickson humbly stated. "I'm grateful to the residents of the 26th Senatorial district for the confidence and trust that they placed in me by electing me to the Senate during my tneture, and I thank them for that trust."

It's us who should be thanking him.

Edwin B. 'Ted' Erickson was exactly what you would want in a public official, and exactly what we all too often do not get.

Here's our Sunday editorial on Erickson's legacy.

Ted and I did not always agree on issues. In fact, many readers will probably recall that this newspaper endorsed Melissa Maxman in the special election that was called to fill the seat vacated by longtime Delco powerbroker Sen. Joe Loeper.

Some politicians would have held a grudge. Not Ted. He was always gracious. That was his hallmark, that of a good, decent man.

He will be missed in Harrisburg, where his kind of moderate, common sense style of legislating is sorely lacking in today's partisan stalemate that passes for governing.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
He will be missed.