In search of walk-off wins, and Grotto pizza

Granted, it's been a pretty miserable season for Phillies fans.

On top of that, the weather has been lousy. If the non-stop rain did not keep me off the deck, then the skeeters were chasing me back inside the house.

Suffice it to say this has been a bit of an odd summer. I haven't even made it to Rehoboth, for God's sake. A summer without Grotto? Kind of looks that way. And yes, I know there is an outlet down on Route 202. Believe me, it doesn't taste the same without that salt air. I'm convinced that's part of the charm. My kids think I've gone "around the bend." They might be right.

But I had a reason to smile last night.

Even with the Phils out of the playoff hunt, trying to put things back together under Ryne Sandberg now that our old pal Charlie Manuel has been jettisoned, there is something special about a 9th inning rally and surprise walk-off win.

The Phils entered the 9th inning last night against the Rockies staring down the barrel of a 3-2 deficit and what certainly appeared to be loss No. 71.

Then a little of the magic that has been missing so often from Citizens Bank Park this summer was rekindled. Erik Kratz and Carlos Ruiz doubled to tie the game at 3. Michael Young followed that with a line single to left, chasing Ruiz home for an unexpected 4-3 win. Dennis Deitch has all the details here.

Now if I could just figure out a way to chase away these skeeters. And get my hands on some Grotto!

Comments