Not the best of mornings

One good thing about getting to the office as early as I do is that you for the most part have the roads to yourself.

Of course, the mood darkens quite a bit when you realize, about 10 minutes after you left the house, that your laptop and iPad are still safe and secure in their bag - right next to my chair at the kitchen table where I left them last night.

I had a doctor's appointment and left the office a little early last night. In those instances, I usually take my laptop home with me and get a little work done at home.

Yes, I am quite the slave to the technology I swim in every day. Laptop? Check. iPad? Check. iPhone? Check.

I just wish I had run through that checklist this morning. Lucily, I was only about five minutes down the road and was thinking about what I wanted to write for today's Heron's Nest when it dawned on me that might be problematic without my laptop. I'm surprised lights did not start coming on all the way back to the house as I unleashed a classic rant to myself in the car.

And of course the morning would not be complete without a few close encounters with the critters who seem to enjoy keeping my company on my morning commute. This morning they almost seemed to be mocking me, and the fact that I was now running late.

First came the raccoon, with his bandit's mask of a face, who decided to cross right in front of me just after I left our development - for the second time.

I tried to tell myself that being late was no reason to speed up - especially with all the wildlife that pops up at that hour. I was still yelling at myself when I noticed the deer munching on the vegetation on the side of the road. Luckily, he or she was much more preoccupied with breakfast than crossing my path.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, except for the crew doing work out on Providence Road. They seemed to realize I was running late, and decided to make the "stop" sign for me a little longer than usual.

Then again, it could be worse. I could be out there on the road now, with conditions reportedly deteriorating rapidly.

It's been a wet summer, and this morning is only going to make it worse. Parts of Chester County out near West Chester are getting rain at a clip of 5 inches an hour. And it's heading this way. A severe thunderstorm warning has just been posted for parts of Chester and Delaware counties.

Luckily, I'm now safe and sound in the office.

So is the laptop. Life goes on.

 

Comments