What happened to August?

What the hell happened to August? I went to bed last night and this morning I woke up in October.

Funny, it doesn't feel like I slept for a couple of months.

I usually toss on a pair of shorts when I get out of bed and make a beeline for the coffee maker. I noticed this morning that my wife had pulled closed the French doors that go out to the sunroom. When I stuck my head out there I realized why. Forget chilly. This was cold.

There are temperatures in the 40s out there this morning. Luckily, the sun is now coming up and is expected to deliver a glorious day.

Still, for a guy who likes his summers hot and humid, this is not a good sign. Another reminder that summer is waning comes tonight, when Chip Kelly and the Eagles clash with the Carolina Panthers in their second preseason game at the Linc. Bob Grotz offers his preview here.

And talk about frosty, don't look for a lot of high-fives between the folks who share the Wells Fargo Center. You know, the house that Ed Snider (with a big assist from Eric Lindros) built. Snider bleeds Flyers orange. They are his pride and joy. That became obvious when he dabbled in owning the Sixers. That failed experiment showed Snider did not have nearly the interest in hoops as he did in ice, especially without Pat Croce running the show.

So he sold the Sixers to an outift headed by Josh Harris. What do you think Snider's reaction will be today when Harris holds a press conference to announce he is buying the New Jersey Devils.

Yes, those same Devils who are the Flyers arch-enemy. The team with Brodeur in goal. The very guys who have so often thwarted Snider's quest for another Stanley Cup.

Only in Philadelphia, folks. And it's still August. Or is it October?

Comments