Who's the boss?

Around our offices here in beautiful downtown Primos, I'm sometimes referred to as the boss.

That doesn't make me Bruce Springsteen.

It doesn't make me a bad guy, either. At least I don't think so.

I don't belive the word 'boss' necessarily carries a negative connotation. Apparently not everyone agrees. Especially if they're Republicans. Delaware County Republicans, in particular.

Earlier this week we sort of kicked off the fall campaign season a little early, with some updated figures that show voter registration in the county almost dead even. Actually, Republicans are still clinging to a 19-voter edge, a far cry from the days when they enjoyed nearly a 3-1 edge. They are quick to point out that the margin is actually much larger when you consider only active voters.

We ran down the updated numbers, got comments from both parties, and also noted the first email of the campaign, with Delco Republicans taking great umbrage with a recent Democratic voter push poll.

Since we talked to both Andy Reilly and David Landau, the two respective head honchos (there's another one of those nasty descriptions, although I have to admit I reallly like that word) of the dueling Delco political parties, we ran both of their pictures with the story.

That's where we ran into a slight problem, at least with some folks.

Under the picture of David Landau, we tagged him 'Democratic leader.' With Andy Reilly's pic, we noted he was the 'Republican boss.'

Some Republicans didn't like it. They believe our use of the word 'boss' carries a negative connotation, harkening back to the party's past here in the county, the days when the legendary War Board ran the county with an iron fist.

Those days are gone. Republicans still control the county courthouse, but several towns now trend Democratic. In fact, in presidential races, the county now consistently votes Democratic.

Not only don't Republicans like the use of the word 'boss,' especially when we describe Landau as a 'leader,' but they think we do it on purpose. I suppose they have a point. If we had described both men as 'bosses,' they wouldn't have much of a point.

They believe it is just one more effort to paint the Republican Party here in Delco in a negative light.

Of course, I don't happen to agree.

I'm a boss myself.

But I'd like to hear what readers have to say. Do you believe there is a negative spin to the word 'boss,' especially when it is used in a political setting? And do you really think we do this on purpose? Post a comment on the blog, or shoot me an email at editor@delcotimes.com.

After all, the real boss around here is you, our readers.

Let me know how you feel.

Comments