A day to remember

It’s been 12 years. Seems like a lot longer.


For a lot of reasons.
They say the world we lived in changed on Sept. 11, 2001. I don’t think people realize how much.
I work in the newspaper business. That’s right, I’m in the ‘media.’
Twelve years ago, there was no Internet.
We did not send out text alerts when that first jet slammed into the World Trade Center tower, what most people simply saw as a horrific accident.
We did not Tweet the details.
We did not post them on Facebook.
We did not engage in social media as the second jet took dead aim, confirming our worst fears. America was under attack.
Today at the Daily Times, we are rolling out a new website. I think readers are going to like it.
I will spare you what it has been like for the past few weeks getting used to all the new technology that make this thing live and breathe. I’m amazed at how much time I spend online these days, something that did not even exist on this hallowed day 12 years ago.
At some point today, I will walk outside, look up at the sky, and remember the blues sky I have ever seen. I hope to take a minute in the Chip Kelly-like speed we do things in the news racket these days, to stop and remember what happened on this day.
Please tell me how you like the new website. If you have suggestions or things you think could be better, shoot me an email at editor@delcotimes.com.
But above all, remember the day.
Never forget.

Comments