A walk on the wild side: Thanks, Lou

No much usually breaks my train of consciousness on Sunday afternoons in the fall.

I'm all Eagles, all the time.

Now, instead of just screaming at the TV (no, I no longer attend games. Gave up the season tickets a long time ago. In fact, I've never once set foot inside Lincoln Financial Field), I usually tweet the entire game as well.

But yesterday afternoon, I was struck by something even more depressing than the Eagles' performance vs. the Giants.

Lou Reed died.

As usual, I found out about it on Twitter. Isn't that where we first learn everything these days? If you came of age in the '60s, as I did, and discovered music as a way to rebel against everything that bothered you, then I don't have to tell you who Lou Reed was.

Trust me, kids. Everything you consider 'edgy' in music today can be traced back to Reed and his work with the Velvet Underground.

Most people are familiar with Reed's iconic song, "Walk on the Wild Side."

But it's not my favorite.

Instead, yesterday afternoon I went on YouTube and found my favorite Reed song. It's a live version of "Sweet Jane," with what I consider to be one of the best intros ever done. The buildup to this classic song is just perfect.

When I was a kid, I like to consider myself a rebel. So of course I considered myself a Lou Reed fan. This didn't have much to do with sex, in particular the focus of his biggest hit.

But as always with me, it came down to the music.

And this is about as good as it gets:

Comments