3 inspiring stories from the Delaware County Literacy Council

Delaware County has no shortage of crucial social agencies that are doing incredible work in the community. Their stories don't often make the front page of the paper, yet they are the fiber that binds our diverse communities together.

Last night I had the opportunity to see first-hand the value - and results - of one of the best.

It was my distinct honor to represent the Daily Times and DelcoTimes.com in accepting one of three "Champions of Adult Literacy" awards from the Delaware County Literacy Council.

I have to admit when my friends Kate Hyzer, Susan Keller and Shonette Harrison-Crew first informed me of the honor, I was a bit taken aback.

After all, I'm a newspaper editor. What the hell do I know about literacy?

It's an old joke, I know.

The truth is I'm a pretty selfish guy. Yes, reading is pretty important to me. If people don't read, I don't eat, or pay my bills. And while it is true people aren't reading our print product in the numbers they once did, they are finding us in new platforms, on their phone, tablets and other mobile devices. It's some I take for granted.

Last night I met some people who don't, three in particular.

They are the real stories of last night, and the true heroes of the battle being waged to help those adults who still struggle with literacy.

Then there were my co-honorees, Chester Mayor John Linder and Dr. Tim Witmer, pastor at Crossroads Community Church.

Linder knows better than most elected officials the value of education, literacy in particular. Before running for office, he spent a couple of decades teaching at Delaware County Community College. He sees every day on the streets of his city the results of young people and adults who lack literacy skills. It's a dead-end road. The Delaware County Literacy Council is the way out.

Witmer and his Crossroads Community Church are doing vital work in Upper Darby. If there is indeed a "melting pot" when it comes to this region, it just might be Upper Darby. I was stunned on a visit to Upper Darby High a few years back when I was informed of how many languages are spoken in the district? Ten or 15 maybe? Try more than 75. Yeah, that's what you would call a melting pot.

The true "champions" of last night are the three Delaware County Literacy Council students who introduced us.

I was introduced by Henrietta Dua, who spoke eloquently of her struggle to learn English after arriving in Delaware County from her native Africa.

We take so much for granted. Reading this blog, for one. Or a street sign, a phone book, or a menu. Not everyone has that luxury. Henrietta Dua didn't, but it hasn't stopped her from seeking her dream, with the help of the Literacy Council.

Kevin Morgan introduced Mayor Linder. He told of his troubled youth, running afoul of the law on the streets of Philadelphia and Chester, and finally landing on his feet - with what he termed his last chance - via the Literacy Council. Today he is college student with a 4.0 GPA. He landed on his feet, and brought the crowd to their feet with his inspiring story.

Dr. Witmer was introduced by a member of his congregation. Mimi Zhang grew up in China, and told of her struggles with English when she arrived here, and the integral part that Crossroads Community Church is playing in the community.

I will never take the act of writing - or reading - something that is so close to my heart, for granted again.

It was an inspiring evening, one people need to know about. People need to know the kind of work organizations like the Delaware County Literacy Council are doing.

Let me be the first to say, "Read all about it."

Comments