How did you 'weather' the bye week?

Here's a confession of an Eagles die-hard and NFL fanatic:

I survived yesterday just fine.

If you can discount the bone-chilling cold that set into the region.

But I managed to get by without my weekly dose of Eagles football just fine.

Too often in the fall and winter, Sundays are pretty much dedicated to three hours in front of the tube watching the Birds. I gave up my season tickets long ago. I was one of those insane denizens of the 700 level at The Vet. The things I saw up there still make me shudder.

These days I don't wander too far off the couch.

It's not unusual for me not to wander out of the house at all on an Eagles game day.

Yesterday was actually a pleasant surprise. I still got up early and puttered around the Internet and set up our DelcoTimes.com website as I usually do.

My wife and I are habitual walkers. But she got one inkling of the chill that had set in overnight and opted for her treadmill.

I bundled up and headed out. Yes, it was cold, but there also was some brilliant sunshine and I found it oddly invigorating to be out walking without my usual companion, lost in the morning and the tunes blaring out of the iPod.

The rest of the day I ferried her and my daughter around on some errands.

I got home in plenty of time to watch the Cowboy persevere over the Giants, which only confimed my suspicions that the Eagles have every opportunity to steal this division. There isn't a really good, dominant team in it.

But there was something else that really enjoyed about the afternoon.

I no longer just watch Eagles games. Now I am consumed with littering Twitter with my own personal analysis of the game. Apparently a lot of people are like me, frustrated color analysts. Don't believe me? Join us this Sunday and use the Twitter hashtag #Eagles to take part in our weekly chat.

Yesterday I didn't tweet. I didn't update the website. I didn't post on Facebook.

I simply sat and watched the game from the warmth of my leather chair in the family room.

It was a treat.

Unfortunately, at halftime, I made the mistake of flipping over to the local news.

Now I know that not having an Eagles game was the least of the region's worries. Instead, it was all-weather all the time. Breaking News! It's cold out. Yes, here in the last week of November.

Now sure, yesterday's temperatures and wind were a cold slap in the face.

But it's not exactly news.

Neither is what is coming later this week.

Don't listen to the gloom and doom and predictions of travel nightmares. At least not in these environs. It's going to rain. The roads will be wet. Somehow, I think we'll survive.

Of course, if you're traveling to other areas of the country, you could in fact have some winter weather issues.

And I'm sure the nice folks on the local TV news will remind you of that incessantly between now and Thursday.

Another reason for thanks!

Comments