I should have stuck with baseball

I knew I should have stuck with my first love. Don't worry, honey, I'm not leaving you.

When I was a kid, I would play baseball all day. And I was good. Especially in the field. I could really pick it.

Then I grew up.

On the coldest day of this late fall-early winter season, I am once again lamenting I didn't stick with baseball.

Just once in my life, I'd like to have a day like Marlon Byrd had yesterday.

Byrd, the former Phillie, spent last season split between the New York Mets and Pittsburgh Pirates. He helped the Bucs reach the playoffs for the first time in eons.

For that he was paid a base salary of $700,000, plus another $100,000 in performance bonuses based on plate appearances.

Yesterday Byrd signed a new deal with the team where he started his career - the Phillies. For $16 million.

That's not a misprint. That is 16 followed by 6 zeroes. $16,000,000.

Byrd is 36. He hit .291 and drove in 88 runs last year, and also came up big for the Pirates in the playoffs, hitting .364 with a homer and five RBI in six playoff games.

Over his career, he's been injury-prone. Just a little more than a year ago, he was playing in the Mexican League.

I don't blame Byrd. I hope he's got something left in the tank, can stay healthy, and helps the Phillies reverse their fortunes.

But what I really wish is that in my next life I will come back as a professional baseball player. It's a nice daydream to warm up the first brutally cold day of winter.

Comments