In praise of Michael Vick

No doubt the Michael Vick haters are rejoicing this morning.

Don't count me among them.

I have no qualms with Chip Kelly's decision yesterday to name Nick Foles the Eagles starting quarterback for the rest of the season. Clearly, it's the right choice, and I'm the first to admit it.

Foles is playing out of his mind. He sees the field better than Vick, in part because he's simply taller, thus he does not get nearly as many balls batted down, a constant Vick downfall.

But he also makes quick reads, including a crucial scan of the defense before the ball is even snapped, thus helping him know where he wants to go. It is not by accident that Foles has not thrown an interception yet this year. Sure, he's been lucky on some throws. There's no law in the NFL against being lucky.

Still, I feel for Vick.

I am not one of those who will never forgive him for what he did. I know any number of longtime, die-hard Eagles fans who abandoned the team when they brought in the troubled QB as part of his return to the NFL after doing time in a federal prison for running a dog-fighting operation.

No doubt, what Vick is accused of doing is horrific. And he paid a steep price, two years out of the prime of his career.

I hate a lot of things about today's NFL, in particular the constant preening, celebrations and gyrations players engage in on making even the most routine of plays.

I hated just about everything about Michael Vick when he was with the Atlanta Falcons, where he once offered fans a middle finger as he exited the field.

But I've admired everything Vick has done since his return. This is clearly not the same guy. Maybe two years in the federal joint does that to you. If so, maybe more of us should be so upbraided. That includes often arrogant newspaper editors who consider their opinions to be exalted, instead of just one more fan's feelings.

Yesterday, Vick, once heralded as the most dangerous weapon in the NFL, surely must have been crushed on learning that he would be relegated to the backup's role.

He could have gone on a rant, saying he had been treated unfairly, how the NFL code of not losing your job because you got hurt somehow does not apply to him.

He did nothing of the sort.

Instead, he vowed to be ready if needed, and to do everything he can to make the Eagles and Nick Foles successful in these final five games as they pursue a possible NFC East title and berth in the playoffs. Vick is not under contract next year. His future is unsure. He is 33. Sitting on the sidelines certainly will not help his chances of securing another big money contract.

And yet he has done nothing than being an exemplary teammate.

A few years ago, I never thought I'd say this, but Michael Vick is a changed man.

In fact, he's a class act.

I won't argue with you about what he's done in the past. If you don't want to forgive him, you are certainly free to do so. I won't try to change your mind.

But I've change my own.

I'm a Michael Vick fan.

Now more than ever.

Comments