Read all about it, the real champions of adult literacy

As I mentioned last week, it was my honor to be named one of three "Champions of Adult Literacy" by the Delaware County Literacy Council.

They're one of my favorite organizations.

And why not, if people aren't reading, I'm not working. My wife takes a decidedly dim view of that. But I wanted to post a photo today of the real heroes of the night.

That would be the three adult literacy students who introduced myself, Dr. Tim Witmer and Chester Mayor John Linder.

They are in fact the real stories of the champions of adult literacy, along with the good folks like Kate Hyzer and Susan Keller and all the volunteers from the Literacy Council.

I was introduced by Henrietta Dua, who spoke eloquently of her struggle to learn English after arriving in Delaware County from her native Africa.

We take so much for granted. Reading this blog, for one. Or a street sign, a phone book, or a menu. Not everyone has that luxury. Henrietta Dua didn't, but it hasn't stopped her from seeking her dream, with the help of the Literacy Council.

Kevin Morgan introduced Mayor Linder. He told of his troubled youth, running afoul of the law on the streets of Philadelphia and Chester, and finally landing on his feet - with what he termed his last chance - via the Literacy Council. Today he is college student with a 4.0 GPA. He landed on his feet, and brought the crowd to their feet with his inspiring story.

Dr. Witmer was introduced by a member of his congregation. Mimi Zhang grew up in China, and told of her struggles with English when she arrived here, and the integral part that Crossroads Community Church is playing in the community.

I will never take the act of writing - or reading - something that is so close to my heart, for granted again.

It was an inspiring evening, one people need to know about. People need to know the kind of work organizations like the Delaware County Literacy Council are doing.

Let me be the first to say, "Read all about it."

Comments

Unknown said…
Hooray for Tim Witmer!!
Unknown said…
Hooray for Tim Witmer!!