How 'bout dem Cowboys!

I work weird hours. I get to the office very early, which means I usually wind up 'retiring' for the evening fairly early.

That especially holds true on the weekend. My wife always says she can tell a difference in me when I wake up on Sunday morning. She always says I am already reverting to 'work' mode.

She's right. I can fell myself slipping back into my work routine even before Sunday afternoon begins.

Yesterday the Eagles did not help my mood one bit, failing to show up in a huge game vs. the Vikings.

After I watched the post-game show and got all the 'bitching' out of my system about the Birds' feeble effort, I decided to sneak a peek at the Cowboys game. My mood did not exactly improve. Dallas was blowing out the Packers.

After dinner, I bid the Mrs. a good night and slinked off to bed with a book I've been trying to slog through for months. As is usually the case, it didn't take long before I slipped off into coma-like conditions.

So imagine surprise bright and early this morning when I heard some chatter on the Big Daddy Graham show, which accompanies me on my early commute into the office, about how the Eagles had gotten a huge break from the Cowboys.

Incredibly, the Cowboys and Tony Romo coughed up another game in an epic come-from-ahead loss. Here's what it all means to Eagles fans.

The Cowboys play the Redskins at 1 o'clock on Sunday. The Eagles don't play until the prime time game Sunday night. By then they will know what they are playing for.

If the Cowboys win, it doesn't matter what the Eagles do against the Bears. Win or lose, the game the following week in Dallas will still be winner-take-all for the NFC East title and a spot in the playoffs.

If the Cowboys lose to the 'Skins, things are a bit different. If the Eagles win, they win the NFC East and the Dallas game is meaningless.

If the Eagles lose, it doesn't matter, they can still win the division if they beat Dallas. But if they lose to the Cowboys, they are tied and the Cowboys have the tie-breaker.

It's that simple.

I've never been a Cowboys fan. I hate that star on their helmet. But at least this Cowboys regime, with Tony Romo, is the gift that keeps on giving.

Comments