The best football game I've ever seen

When it comes to football, my allegiance lies with the Birds.

That means our beloved Iggles, of course.

I like college football, but I just don't have that much of a rooting interest, especially since my Colorado Buffaloes have fallen off the national radar. And where have you gone, Bill McCartney?

Having said that, I was intrigued by Saturday's matchup of No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 1 Auburn in the football-made SEC.

I'm glad I did.

It just might be the best football game - of any kind - I've ever seen.

Does anyone else think either one of these teams could hold their own in the NFL.

My guess is Alabama coach Lou Saban is being roundly second-guessed in Tide country for several decisions he made in the game, but probably none more than that last-second field goal attempt that was returned for a game-winning touchdown by Auburn.

I have to give my sidekick, my lovely wife, credit on this one. She knows as much football as anyone, and she immediately picked up on the idea that it seemed as if Alabama wasn't aware that the kick, which came up a tad short and right, could be returned. Add to that the fact that they had almost all offensive linemen on the field, and you have the makings of one of the best sporting moments in history.

This morning, unbeaten Florida State has been anointed the No. 1 team in the country. But I don't think anything they could do would top what I watched on Saturday.

An instant classic.

Comments