The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

Raise your hand if you saw this coming back in August — the Eagles playing the Cowboys in the final game on the schedule, with the winner claiming first place in the NFC East and a spot in the playoffs.

Didn’t think so.

I also think you can forget a lot of what you’ve been hearing all week. I don’t think it’s going to make much difference now that Tony Romo is officially out for the game and Kyle Orton is at QB for the Cowboys. The Eagles are the better team, by a lot.

This Eagles team barely resembles the bunch that struggled mightily against the ‘Boys at the Linc in October. It was Nick Foles’ worst day. With a chance to grab the spotlight — and starting QB position - he came up small.

He’s been lights out since, ably assisted by LeSean McCoy, the best back in the NFL.

But the real secret to this game will be Kelly, who seems to bring his game to a new level when he hits the national stage, something that transfers to his team. His play-calling in last Sunday night’s demolition of the Bears was almost flawless.

And once again this weekend entire country will be watching the Eagles-Cowboys game as the finale to the NFL’s regular season.

The Cowboys will go with Orton, now that Tony Romo has undergone his second serious back surgery in two years. But much more important will be the absence of middle linebacker Sean Lee. He played a big role in stifling McCoy back in that first game.

The Cowboys will bank on a huge helping from running back DeMarco Murray to fill the void left by Romo. It won’t be enough.

I look for big games from Nick Foles and LeSean McCoy, and a party that will start the New Year’s celebration early back in Philly.

The Pick: Make it Eagles 33, Cowboys 23. Forget the Romo saga. In one game, I’m taking Chip Kelly over Jason Garrett every day of the week. What Kelly has done with this team in a single season is simply astounding. He’s going to win a Super Bowl someday, I just hope it’s in Philly.

Last Week: Kelly made a believer out of me when the Eagles absolutely dismantled the Bears on national TV. By the second half, the Bears looked like a team that wanted to be just about anywhere other than the Linc. And remember it was the Bears who had everything to play for as opposed to the Eagles, who knew going in that the game was basically meaningless for them.

Season Record: I expected the Bears to handle the Birds with that much at stake. Wrong again. Missing the Bears game dropped me to 9-6. Meanwhile, the Birds are sitting at an identical 9-6 and in control of their own destiny in Dallas. Win and they’re in. I think they do just that - and in convincing fashion.

Game by Game: Eagles 33, Redskins 27 (My Pick: Redskins 31, Eagles 23)

Chargers 33, Eagles 30 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Chargers 17)

Chiefs 26, Eagles 16 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Chiefs 23)

Broncos 52, Eagles 20 (My Pick: Broncos 41, Eagles 27)

Eagles 36, Giants 21 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Giants 26)

Eagles 31, Buccaneers 20 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Buccaneers 17)

Cowboys 17, Eagles 3 (My Pick: Cowboys 33, Eagles 23)

Giants 15, Eagles 7 (My Pick: Giants 26, Eagles 23)

Eagles 49, Raiders 20 (My Pick: Raiders 23, Eagles 13)

Eagles 27, Packers 13 (My Pick: Eagles 29. Packers 16)

Eagles 24, Redskins 16 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Redskins 27)

Eagles 24, Cardinals 21 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Cardinals 19)

Eagles 34, Lions 20 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Lions 23)

Vikings 48, Eagles 30 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Vikings 19)

Eagles 54, Bears 11 (My Pick: Bears 29, Eagles 27)

Comments