Your Monday morning commuter alert

Here's a tip from someone who just traversed the roads in from the legendary "northern and western suburbs."

Your biggest challenge this morning will be walking to your car, and then deicing it.

As for the roads, they are messy and wet, but not in nearly as bad a shape as I thought they would be after yesterday's "surprise" snowstorm. More on that later.

If you didn't clean off the car last night, you'll have quite the project on tap this morning. I walked out of the house into a steady rain, which had left a pretty solid coating of ice all over the car.

Luckily, I had done most of the digging out last night, cleaning the cars and shoveling the driveway.

I let the defrost run for awhile, then chipped off the the rest of the ice.

As usual, once I got out of my driveway and the development, the driving really wasn't that bad.

The roads were for the most part just we.

Of course, that won't stop the local TV folks from scaring the hell out of us. Might I suggest they instead save their bluster and simply work on their forecast.

Unless I missed it, no one managed to predict the snow we got on Sunday, either when it would start or how much we would get.

Guess that somehow managed to elude "double-scan" radar.

One of the few joys about driving when I do is that you for the most part have the roads to yourself. I could not believe the conditions I was seeing early yesterday afternoon, and the number of people who got caught in this unexpected storm, many emerging from church services to conditions they had not expected.

The bad news? There is more snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Swell.

Comments