A report from the road

I'm glad to report that I am once safely ensconced in the home office in beautiful downtown Primos.

Those of you who are faithful readers of The Heron's Nest know what it coming next.

Here's my morning commuter road report.

Look, I can't shovel your sidewalk, nor dig you out from your driveway. Especially if your plow folks, like the ones where I live, insist on piling up the snow right at the end of your driveway. The roads in your development might be a bit dicey.

But I can tell you the main roads are fine. Don't yell at me, as some did the last time I made this post following our last storm.

Are there some snow-covered patches? Sure. And lots of slush. But surprisingly I also saw a lot of pavement.

If I hear one more person on TV and radio tell us "if you don't have to go out, don't" and warn us to "stay off the roads," my head just might explode.

I'm not quite sure they understand that business needs to be conducted. It's called commerce. And it involves people being able to get out, either to their offices, or to shop, eat and do other transactions.

Just take it easy.

You'll be fine.

I was even surprised during last night's ride home. It wasn't great. But at no point did I ever encounter anything that I would deem unpassable.

Treacherous, the favorite word of the TV types? I'm not so sure.

The worst stretch of road I was on this morning was Oak Avenue in Upper Darby from Baltimore Pike to Cottonwood Lane, which leads me into the office. It was still pretty much snow-packed, but still driveable. Not surprisingly, Clifton Heights was one of the hardest hit areas, with as much as 13 inches of snow.

The big issue you will face this morning is the cold, with a biting wind that goes right through you.

Bundle up if you're going out, but by all means go ahead and go out if you need to. I understand the schools are a different animal, because they are dealing with all these tiny side streets. And they are correct to err on the side of caution.

But for the rest of us, I don't think we need to bring the region to a halt because we got some snow. Agree or disagree? Let me know in the comments.

Comments