Greetings from 'balmy' Montgomery, Ala.

Welcome to Day 2 of the Polar Vortex.

The thermometer greeted me with a chilly 7 degrees this morning, but relief is on the way. For one thing, those howling winds seem to have died down.

So does 7 feel any better than the 4 degrees we registered yesterday? Not really. But then again, remember I hate winter to begin with. I want nothing more most days than to simply pull the covers up over my head and hunker down until Memorial Day.

I am always threatening my wife that one day instead of arriving at the office I am simply going to point the car south on I-95 and stop when I hit Key West.

Maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

Yesterday I got an email from a Delco ex-patriot who did just that, relocated South.

"Bud" Hemphill Jr. is a former Darby resident and Daily Times loyal reader who now resides in "sunny" Montgomery, Ala.

Well, yesterday was not exactly a post card day in Alabama. Bud reports that the temperature there yesterday morning was all of 12 degrees.

It's one thing to have that kind of cold here. It is winter, after all. In Montgomery, this translates to serious problems. Many people don't have winter gear, according to Bud. Pipes are bursting across the region because many of the houses there don't have that much insulation.

If you're looking for a silver lining, think Saturday. The forecast calls for temperatures possibly again topping 60 degrees, along with some rain.

Think spring.

In the meantime, the folks who run the region's electric grid are once again asking people to voluntarily try to conserve electricity. There was a fair amount of confusion yesterday after PJM made its first call, prompting a belief by many that there could be rolling blackouts put in place. That was quickly shot down. We set a new record for electric usage yesterday. You can read it here.

If you're wondering about how to dress your kids for a polar vortex, we have that covered as well. Check it out here.

Hang in there for a few more hours. Relief is on the way. If you call highs in the low 20s relief.

Comments