'Pump'-ing up the electric bill

Anyone else heat their home with an electric heat pump?

I do.

I'm dreading my next electric bill. I actually live in a house that is all-electric. I've been getting dizzy standing outside next to the meter watching that damn thing spin around.

I have to admit that after growing up in a home that had hot-air gas heat, living in a home with a heat pump was a bit of an adjustment.

First off, there's the way it feels. The first winter we spent in our house, when I put my hand over the heat register to feel what was coming out, I actually thought there was some mistake. It felt like the air-conditioner was on. No, I was assured, that's actually the way it is supposed to feel.

We've sort of adjusted. We wear lots of layers in the Heron house.

In addition, the upstairs of the house has always been warmer than the downstairs. Again we've managed to adjust.

But the past couple of weeks, I've noticed something different going on. It's actually been hot upstairs, while the downstairs has stayed at about the same temperature.

And I think I know why. And my wallet is already wincing.

You see once the outside temperature goes down to a certain level, the heat pump switches off and something called "emergency heat" comes on.

I don't know how best to explain it, other than this. It is much more expensive to run that way than the regular heat pump.

The forecast calls for these frigid conditions to continue right into next week, along with snow showers both Saturday and Monday.

Excuse me while I pull the covers back up over my head.

Comments

Joseph Hoke said…
Invest in an Bryant Extrme high efficiency heat pump. This type of heat can keep operating down to 10 degrees compared to a conventional heat pump that operates at 35 degrees. Also may want to invest in an Arzel zoning system. When you zone your house you have independant control of the 1st and 2nd floors of your home giving you better comfort levels along with lower electric bills. Call H & H Heating and Air Conditioning to get a free in home estimate 610-532-8744
Anonymous said…
I have one, too, and I just can't get the temp up anymore in my place, and I have a small 1-bedroom condo. I am dreading this month's electric bill, even though I'm on a budget. I even switched electric companies last year, and now I'm locked into $.775 for 7 years. Every little bit helps, right? I was told years ago that heat pumps are good for occasional cold snaps, like in Florida, but certainly not for PA. How many days until Spring??