The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick (Playoff Edition)

In the words of the inimitable Jim Mora: PLAYOFFS?

That’s right, Bird Brains, the Eagles are in the playoffs after surviving a harrowing prime-time affair against the Cowboys. Admit it, that look on Jerry Jones’ face when Kyle Orton did his best Tony Romo imitation with a crucial interception with just a few minutes left on the clock was almost as good as the win.

Now I only have one question: Who Dat?

Actually, Who Dat gonna put pressure on Drew Brees? Because if the Eagles don’t get a lot more pressure on Brees than they did on Orton, Brees will pick them apart. This is a legitimate Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame QB they’re going up against.

Having said that, a lot of people don’t think the Saints - or Brees for that matter - are the same team outside the friendly confines of their Superdome. The Linc is expected to be a frozen tundra, with temperatures only in the high 20s. Some wind would be a good thing as well.

Chip Kelly doesn’t like to do it, but this would be a good game to bank on his best player, the NFL’s leading rusher LeSean McCoy. Let him tote the rock and keep Brees off the field.

The Saints pass defense is very good, but their run defense is porous. The Eagles don’t necessarily want to get in a shootout with Brees, who will be looking for standout tight end Jimmy Graham early and often. Yes, I also have nightmares of Graham running away from Patrick Chung. That’s why it’s imperative that the Eagles bring the heat on Brees, make him uncomfortable in the pocket. If he gets on a roll, look out. He won’t get on much of a roll sitting on the sidelines watching Shady McCoy dance through the Saints defense.

It’s time for the Eagles to go marching in!

The Pick: Make it Eagles 26, Saints 23. I can’t really explain it, but I expect the Eagles to win this game. I think Brees will be out of his element, and I really do think this road thing is starting to get into the Saints’ heads.

Last Week: The Eagles weren’t at their best. Nick Foles was not as sharp as I’ve seen him. The Birds nearly blew the lead. But Brandon Boykin came up with a huge play when they needed it most. The Eagles will have to put a lot more pressure on Drew Brees than they managed to get on Kyle Orton.

Season Record: Well, what do you know, both the Birds and I wound up the regular season with identical 10-6 records. Not a bad year for either of us. OK, raise your hand if you had Chip Kelly winning 10 games and getting the Eagles into the playoffs in Year One. I didn’t think so.

Game by Game: Eagles 33, Redskins 27 (My Pick: Redskins 31, Eagles 23)

Chargers 33, Eagles 30 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Chargers 17)

Chiefs 26, Eagles 16 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Chiefs 23)

Broncos 52, Eagles 20 (My Pick: Broncos 41, Eagles 27)

Eagles 36, Giants 21 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Giants 26)

Eagles 31, Buccaneers 20 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Buccaneers 17)

Cowboys 17, Eagles 3 (My Pick: Cowboys 33, Eagles 23)

Giants 15, Eagles 7 (My Pick: Giants 26, Eagles 23)

Eagles 49, Raiders 20 (My Pick: Raiders 23, Eagles 13)

Eagles 27, Packers 13 (My Pick: Eagles 29. Packers 16)

Eagles 24, Redskins 16 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Redskins 27)

Eagles 24, Cardinals 21 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Cardinals 19)

Eagles 34, Lions 20 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Lions 23)

Vikings 48, Eagles 30 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Vikings 19)

Eagles 54, Bears 11 (My Pick: Bears 29, Eagles 27)

Eagles 24, Cowboys 22 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Cowboys 23)

Comments