Stronger than the storm

We survived, I think.

Now it's time to dig out - and bundle up. Yesterday's massive snow storm will be followed today by the second-half of Mother Nature's 1-2 punch, brutal cold. We're expecting wind chills today below zero and it's supposed to get even colder Thursday.

Here are some things you need to know: The airport is still looking at serious delays. Call 1-800-PHL-GATE for flight information.

SEPTA says the regional rails are in good shape. Only a few bus routes in the Manayunk section of the city are out of the loop. Check their website at SEPTA.org for information.

The snow king in Delco looks like Brookhaven, where they are proclaiming some 14.8 inches of snow. They also got 12 inches in some parts of Drexel Hill.

Most of the region got hit with anywhere from 8-12 inches of snow.

Now for driving. This is my specialty, especially after bein beseiged all day by TV folks telling me to stay off the roads and that "if you don't have to go out, don't."

As usual, I beg to disagree. Now look, I'm not saying that it was a night to go out for a ride. That's not the case. But I did not see a single spot on my ride home where roads were impassable. There were some cars that were struggling with some hills, almost inevitably those with rear-wheel drive.

An admission: I was driving a Toyota Rav-4 (yes, I use the wife's car in the snow!) and I did not have a problem.

Most of the roads were snow or slush-covered. But I was surprised at how good the roads actually were in. Here is a suggestion, learned after three decades of making this commute, and reinforced yesterday by one worker after another slogging into the office. When asked how the roads were, almost every one of them muttered something about them not being that bad, "if only people knew how to drive."

That's one of the reasons I almost always wait until traffic has died down a bit to head out. Yesterday's afternoon rush hour was early, with the roads packed early in the afternoon, mostly with people not going anywhere.

I'll let you know how my morning commute goes - once I dig out the driveway.

Someone please tell me spring is coming.

Yeah, right. So is February.

For now, get ready for days of bone-chilling cold.

Swell.

Comments