When words simply won't do

If nothing else, I am a man of words.

Every day, work with words and images and convey to our readers what has happened during the past 24 hours. But this morning words fail me. I am trying desperately to think of something that will console those who knew Dante DeSimone. I'm coming up empty. As a journalist, as a father, and as a human being.

DeSimone was a popular athlete who graduated from Upper Darby High last June and was a freshman at Neumann University in Aston, where he was already making a name for himself on campus as part of the lacrosse team. Notice the tense I used there.

Was.

In a few days, DeSimone would have returned to the Aston campus to resume his freshman year. Instead, fate put him outside the McDonald's on Baltimore Pike in Clifton Heights Sunday night. He was doing what young people do, hanging out with his friends. Two cars collided on Baltimore Pike. One of them careened up onto the sidewalk, striking DeSimone and his buddy, Tim Robison.

DeSimone was rushed to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, where he was pronounced dead. Robison was transferred to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he is listed in critical but stable condition.

I found myself early Monday morning doing something I do all too often in this job. As a journalist, I was attracted to what clearly was going to be a compelling story. As a father of a son just a few years older than Dante, I recoiled in horror, wondering how something like this could happen.

I was not alone.

Last night several hundred people gathered at the site for a vigil to remember Dante. I'm sure they were all asking the same question.

DeSimone's devastated parents were there, the pain clearly etched on their faces.

The story about the accident that took Dante's life was easily the most popular one on the DelcoTimes.com site yesterday.

I have no doubt today's coverage of both the crash and last night's memorial will be likewise. People always ask me why there is so much bad news in the Daily Times. I always offer them the same response.

"That's what people read."

I wish more than anything today people were not reading about the death of a vibrant young man like Dante DeSimone.

I wish I knew what to say to his devastated family and friends.

Like I said, some days the words just won't come. And even if they did they wouldn't adequately describe what happened in the blink of an eye on Baltimore Pike Sunday night.

Hug your kids.

Say or do something nice for someone today.

Do it for Dante.

Comments

Michelle Millison said…
Saying prayers for his family and all his friends RIP Dante
Anonymous said…
Very well said. Words did NOT fail you or anyone that read it. I also have a son, 20 yrs. old, and cannot imagine the grief, loss, and tragedy the families are experiencing. Thoughts & prayers for everyone that knew Dante.
Anonymous said…
I feel so sorry for his family. It is senseless for a young man to die in such a senseless way. I pray to God that it was truly an accident and not due to racing down the Pike. I lived in U.D. for many years and have seen way to many parents losing their children for no reason. Please know that his family have their own guardian angel looking out for them. I know this is not going to reduce any pain for them , I just hope they can smile when he places his hand on their shoulders for comfort.
Anonymous said…
Well done.
maria said…
Beautifully written. I knew Dante's mother in childhood. She'd never remember me. For some strange reason, I Googled her one day. (I often do that to see where old friends ended up.) I was devastated to read the story of her beloved son, and I've not been the same since. Sadly, I learned of the tragedy too late to attend the services. But your column said it all. There are just no words.
Maria Ezzi Hess