A simple act warms up a brutally cold morning

Yes, I am tired of this brrrrrr-utal weather.

So this morning I decided to do something about it. With the temperatures descending to single digits, I did something that gave me a nice, warm feeling.

I first noticed this guy a couple of weeks ago.

I would usually catch him as he walked down Oak Avenue. From his bright orange vest, I could tell he was headed to work at the Waste Management plant that is just up the block from our office.

This morning I was sitting at the light at Baltimore Pike getting ready to take a right on Oak when I noticed him getting ready to cross the street.

I thought to myself, 'Nobody should be walking in this God-awful weather.'

So instead of driving on when the light changed, I rolled down my window as he approached.

I get the feeling he thought I was simply going to wave him through the intersection.

He seemed a bit startled when I asked a simple question:

"Would you like a lift?"

The look on his face melted away the cold.

He was only in the car for a minute or two. He did not stop smiling the entire time.

I'm not sure where he lives, or how far he walks to work. Hell, I don't even know his name.

But I know this. Nobody should be walking in this kind of weather.

I told him that I have been seeing him walking to work for some time now. I don't know if he recognized my car or knew who I was, but he seemed genuinely appreciative. It's only a couple of blocks from Baltimore and Oak to the Waste Management plant.

We talked about how miserable this winter has been and how we both couldn't wait for spring. And of course I couldn't help but add that they are calling for more snow Sunday night.

He said he had heard, and that he couldn't wait for spring. I know how he feels.

It was a genuine human interaction. Not an email. Not a Tweet. Not a Facebook posting.

We were face to face, a little bit of human interaction in an increasingly impersonal world.

We shook hands as he got out of the car.

He was still smiling.

Warms me up just thinking of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Samaritan, Phil! I am sure you will do it again!
JC...DCNN