Deer me, they're back!

My friends are back. I had wondered where they went.

I wasn't sure if they took cover from all the snow. Or simply went into hibernation because of the cold.

This morning they were back - and I came eyeball to eyeball with several of them.

I'm talking about deer.

Wednesday morning, I spent a good part of my morning commute weaving in and out of downed trees. This morning it was four-legged obstacles.

I encountered two separate packs of deer who apparently had wandered out to see what all the fuss was about with the ice and power outages.

The first group crossed right in front of me and forced me to take evasive action. Again, it's a good thing that not many people are on the road when I drive on my early-morning commute. I managed to just miss them as I skidded off the side of the road.

The second group, again about four or five deer, were a little more persistent. I encountered them as they milled along the side of the road, munching on some downed pine tree limbs. Apparently they were as interested in me as I was in them.

One of them literally decided to say hello. He (or she) was running right beside my car. His head was just inches from my side window. I don't know who was more startled - him or me. For some reason, he never veered into my path.

A few months back, my wife encountered the same kind of situation, and the deer plowed right into the side of her car.

I was a little more lucky.

I wonder how long they decided to hang out on the side of the road, and if they were as lucky as I was.

I guess I'll find out tonight on the ride home. If I see a carcass on the side of the road, I'll have my answer.

Comments