Go, Johnny, Go! This time as an analyst

It's not exactly a big secret that I have fallen out of love with the Winter Olympics this year. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing it has something to do with my overwhelming dislike for anything cold.

Yes, this is the winter of my discontent. I am ready to put winter - and the Winter Olympics - behind me.

Oh, sure, I caught the USA-Russia ice hockey game on Saturday. It was terrific. But I still think the idea of using a shootout to decide more than 60 minutes of regulation and an overtime is kind of silly. Play until someone scores, guys.

I am now ready for the Phillies and spring training.

But before I go there, I will offer one other bit of praise for the Olympics. This one is personal and it has to do with the TV coverage. No, it has nothing to do with Bob Costas' eye.

Instead, this one has everything to do with one of the real surprises from these Olympics.

Johnny Weir is a dynamite analyst.

Weir has been a breath of fresh air in what can at times best be described as somewhat sullen, reserved world of figure skating. There is nothing reserved about Johnny Weir.

He is loud, brash and upfront about his lifestyle, just as he was as a world-class skater and Olympian. His teaming with fellow former skating princess Tara Lipinsky has been spot-on.

Weir's outrageous sense of style has been on full display in Sochi, clearly a thumb in the eye to the Russian government and their hard-line, anti-gay stance.

It's almost been worth it to tune in each day just to see what kind of wild outfit Weir will come up with next.

Of course, that's not really the reason I'm such a Johnny Weir booster.

The truth is, his mom and dad are old friends. We grew up together in the tiny little town of Oxford, Pa. Went to high school together. Dad John and I played football together. Mom Patti, a cheerleader, sat a few pews away from me in church every Sunday.

Johnny is always listed as being from Quarryville, where he lived for awhile, or Coatesville, where he was born, or even in Newark, Del., where he trained.

I know better.

Johnny Weir is the pride of Oxford, Pa.

Your old hometown is proud of you, Johnny.

Comments