Misery index? They came to the right place

Maybe it's because I just can't stomach one more picture of the Phillies working out under that gleaming sun in Clearwater.

Or maybe it's because of that short-lived two-day respite we got last weekend from this unending cold.

Then again, it just might have something to do with the fact that I just read a story defining something called the winter 'misery index.' Guess what? They decided it's been pretty miserable around here this winter. Wonder how much they paid to come to that determination.

This stopped being fun a long time ago. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to come up with much in the way of positives when it comes to cold weather. It's something I would like to remove from my life. Unfortunately, I can't afford Key West, so it doesn't look like I'll be relocating anytime soon.

Aren't temperatures supposed to be moderating by now?

Last night and this morning seemed as cold to me as just about any night this winter. And I've hated every one of them. Well, guess what? It's not going away anytime soon.

After a brisk 13-degree reading this morning, temperatures are expected to dip even more Friday morning, possibly into the single digits.

That doesn't do much for you? Wait for Sunday night and Monday morning. Just in time for another work week, a new storm is expected to deliver a messy glop of snow, rain and maybe a little more ice. As if that wasn't enough fun the last time we went through this, when 750,000 people wound up without power across the region.

This apparently is all the work of the now-legendary 'polar vortex,' which has swooped down out of the north and held us in her icy mitts since early January.

The wind chill factor Friday morning will descend into the brutal neighborhood of 10-20 below zero.

I surrender.

Comments