The new voices of the Phillies

I've always liked Jamie Moyer.

He always reminded me of what could have been. Once upon a time, about a lifetime ago, I was a pretty good baseball player. I loved the game, but I never harbored any thoughts of starring for anyone other than maybe my Little League, Babe Ruth and high school teams.

But I have to admit every time I watched Moyer pitch, I got the urge to grab a bat and take a few hacks. Moyer never overwhelmed anyone. He relied on guile.

I'm thinking his debut in the broadcast booth might need to do the same.

As beloved as Moyer is, no one will ever refer to him as 'Mr. Excitement.' In a world of preening, me-first vain superstar athletes, Moyer is plain vanilla. Your everyman.

That's why I always liked him.

And that's why I'm not so sure I'd have picked him for the Phillies revamped broadcast lineup.

The Phillies made it official yesterday. Moyer and Matt Stairs will be joining play-by-lay man Tom McCarthy on the Phillies TV broadcasts this year. They replace the banished Gary 'Sarge' Matthews and longtime Phillie presence Chris Wheeler.

For his part, Stairs will always have a single, crucial connection to the Phillies. That being one of the truly majestic playoff home runs you will ever see in a game at Dodger Stadium. Many Phillies fans still see that shot arcing over the palm trees in right field in their dreams.

Broadcasters are something of an acquired taste, so we should not be too quick to judge these guys.

Remember, a lot of people hated the now-beloved late Harry Kalas when he first arrived from Houston, in part because the equally beloved Bill Campbell was shown the door in the process.

But Moyer will need to bring a little more juice than he has shown in most of his media appearances. Unless they simply plan to leave that role to Stairs.

It won't bother me. I'm a radio guy. And the Phillies have perhaps the best tandem in the business in Scott Franzke and Larry Anderson.

By the way, pitchers and catchers start their workouts in Clearwater today.

Spring can't be far behind.

Comments