Your Tuesday morning road report

I hope you didn't put that shovel away.

Yes, it is snowing again.

Do yourself a favor. Pull the covers up over your head and leave a note saying you're not coming out again until spring.

In other words, it's a mess out there.

I'm not sure if it was the timing or what, but this is one of the worst rides in I've had in this miserable winter. All the roads I traveled on were snow-covered.

The main roads are packed down, but the side roads are not. Maybe the worst thing is that the snow managed to hide the potholes. They're out there and they're deeper than ever, judging from the filling-loosening hits I was taking on the way in this morning.

When I walked into the office just before 5 a.m., it was snowing like nobody's business. The TV folks say it is actually starting to taper off, but I saw no evidence of that.

West Chester Pike and Springfield Road were both snow-covered. That's pretty unusual. Most of my rides home they have been for the most part slushy. Not this morning. They are covered.

How bad was it? Well, before I backed the car out of the driveway, I had to shovel the accumulated snow again. We had a least a fresh inch on the ground. I cleared off the car for about the thousandth time this winter, then I headed out.

I was somewhat surprised that the roads did not appear to be plowed. I saw lots of crews, so maybe they were just getting started.

The snow arrived overnight, and it's supposed to start trailing off later this morning, and the temperature actually is going to hit the 40s later this afternoon.

Here's a pleasant thought: Anyone think about where all this snow is going to go once it starts melting? That's right, probably in your basement. Of course, that is if your roof holds up.

Look, it's been a miserable winter. You know the drill. I'm guessing the morning commute is going to be a mess.

We'll get through it.

I think.

Comments