And the Oscar for the worst winter goes to ...

And the Oscar for the worst winter goes to ... Winter of 2014.

I've now hit a new low in terms of the Academy Awards.

Usually I joke that I have not seen any of the nominated movies. That certainly holds true this year.

Now I can add one more item to my ignominy. Last night I did not see one second of the Academy Awards show.

I'm blaming it on the weather. And that bum forecast we were bombarded with all winter.

On Saturday morning, after 24 hours of being hammered with the usual "Here it comes" weather hype, I made the decision to not let it affect my life anymore. I vowed to simply ignore the forecast and go about my business - and my normal schedule.

Now you need to understand that my schedule is not your normal one. I don't work 9-5. Some days I think I work 24/7.

Very often that includes the weekends. My wife says she can see a change start to come over me right after I get up on Sunday, knowing that Monday and another week looms.

I go to bed early and get up very early.

That's even more so when the forecast calls for snow. I usually head up to bed right after we eat on Sunday. I try to read for awhile or maybe catch some TV. Last night I slid into my normal coma long before the Oscars telecast came on. I didn't even make the red carpet gala.

I do have to hand out an Oscar of my own. I will give it to the Winter of 2014, and it will be in the category, "Worst Winter Ever."

The fact that we are not getting as much snow as first forecast in what is now being called an "upside-down" storm doesn't make me feel any better. It just makes me that much more irate over the whole idea of how local TV stations handle the weather.

But there is a silver lining in all this. I noticed as we sat the dinner table last night. I had been checking all afternoon for the arrival of snow, which never did happen. But I noticed something else as well. It was past 6 o'clock and still light out.

Next Saturday night we greet the return of Daylight Savings Time.

Spring can't be far off.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I knew when it didn't start snowing in the afternoon that it was going to be a big bust. Not that there's anything wrong with that. What a waste of a snow day.