Fat Tuesday: What should I give up this year?

How many different ways are there to spell Fastnacht? I think I've spotted at least four different variations today. That's because is Fastnacht Day, better known as Fat Tuesday.

It's the traditional bacchanalian blow that precedes Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent.

Today is the day to indulge. Think Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Or Carnival in Rio. By the way Mardie Gras in the Big Easy is definitely on my 'bucket list.'

I don't really do Fastnacht Day. I'm not much for doughnuts. And it's unlikely that I will be out partying tonight. I rarely drink during the week. And after tomorrow I won't drink a beer for 40 days. Pray for me.

This year I'm in the market for something different to give up for Lent, and I think I've hit on the perfect solution.

I'm giving up TV weather forecasts.

Very simply, I am no longer paying attention. If I want to know what the weather is, I'll stick my head out the window. I suggest maybe our local weather prognosticators do the same.

They were just a tad bit off with their forecasts for the storm that rolled over the region Sunday night into Monday. For no less than four days, all we heard was estimates of as much as a foot of snow or more.

Weather is a fickle thing. A slight change of course can mean a big difference in what happens.

You would think they would acknowledge that. Not a chance. Instead they make jokes.

At this point I should credit John Bolaris. After intially sounding the alarm about "one of the biggest snow storms in March history," at least he revised his forecast Sunday afternoon, indicating it was looking more likely that the storm was going to go farther south, sparing us all that much snow.

That turned out to be exactly the case. Most areas around here got an inch or two. Not exactly the biggest storm ever. It was just after noon on Saturday when I decided to write off the forecasts. I'm as tired as anyone of this winter of our discontent. I hate cold weather. I've been miserable since the holidays.

I don't need a bunch of preening TV folks feeding me fake news as people mob the local supermarkets, apparently panic-stricken that they may have to fend a few hours without a full supply of Ring-Dings.

I would like to see a study of what the economic impact of these gloom-and-doom forecasts actually is. They have repercussions. How would you like to own a restaurant or nightspot and be serenaded non-stop all-day with the following popular TV mantra: "All you can say no a day like this is if you don't have to go out, don't."

When did that become TV's job. They have their hands full with the forecast, now they want to set our social schedule as well.

Maybe I'm just burned out on winter. It doesn't take me long. I like a nice, crisp fall day as much as anyone. I can live with a dusting of snow to accompany the holidays. But the 90 days from Jan. 1 to April Fool's Day is pure torture, this year in particular.

I will go about my business without the help of the forecast, although I can admit that I will probably check next week on the forecast for March 15. My niece is getting married that day.

I hope it's 75 and sunny. But if the local TV types told me that, I'm not sure I'd believe them.

Comments