'Live From the Newsroom' talks about the IU and its plans for the Aston campus

There is nothing I like more than when I get to use all this technology I swim in every day for to produce a real, tangible result.

I think that's what we were able to do last night with an issue that has been simmering in Aston Township now for weeks.

We devoted our weekly 'Live From the Newsroom' live-stream Internet broadcast to the controversy surrounding the proposal by the Delaware County Intermediate Unit to expand their Aston campus.

And while I was moderating, I wasn't doing that much of the talking.

I left that to the great panel we had, all of whom are intimately involved in this project.

We were joined by Dr. Lawrence O'Shea, the executive director of the IU, ably assisted by Adriene Irving, the IU's director of communications and legislative services.

O'Shea reviewed the history of the IU's proposal, which would consolidate much of their operations at the Aston site, including relocating the two alternative schools from Collingdale and Middletown to the Aston campus.

The number of students at the site would double, from 400 to 800.

Voicing their concerns were several neighbors, including Paul Hansen, Spring Valley homeowner Brian Matteo,and John Mancinelli, the head of the Spring Valley homeowners association.

Their concerns are real, including worries about traffic, the effect on property values and potential issues with kids from the alternative schools.

O'Shea defended the plans, noting the rights of these kids to an equal education, and pledged to work with residents on changes to the proposal.

If you missed the show, you can catch the replay here.

A couple of things struck me about this issue: One, it's pretty clear that residents knew next to nothing about it until it hit the newspaper in early February.

IU officials likely were taken aback at the reaction they received at a public hearing at which residents blasted the way the whole thing has been handled, and some of the safety issues connected to it.

It's also pretty clear to me that this is very much a work in progress. O'Shea indicated the IU is now in the process of reviewing neighbors' concerns and will make a new presentation to the township commissioners, who will have the final say on whether to give it the green light or not.

My one regret is that no one from the township wanted to join us last night. We made the offer, but we never heard back from them.

If I was going to place a bet, I'd bank on the IU coming up with a plan that does not include moving their alternative school operations to the Aston campus. It's pretty clear that's at the heart of neighbors' concerns on the proposal.

My thanks for our panel for a great discussion.

And my apologies to several readers who were upset that I did not get to all of their questions.

Comments