'Please take care of this dog'

After spending 32 years here in the home office in Primos, something happened yesterday that has never happened before. Photographer Julia Wilkinson was heading to her car just after lunch when she was startled by something attached to her car.

It was a little dog.

This ball of fluff dog was tied to the bumper of Wilkinson's car in the Daily Times parking lot with a note from an older woman who said she could no longer take care of it anymore. Here is what the note said: "Please take care of me. I'm a female, 9 years old - 15 pounds. I just moved to a new apartment. I'm 73 years old and I can't keep her because of her barking. Thank you so much. She was well loved. Loves people and children."

I quickly put together an item and a photo of the pup that Wilkinson took and posted it on our Facebook page. As expected, it blew up.

One other thing I've learned in more than three decades in this business is the amazing effect animals have on people. Day in and day out we publish heart-rending stories of people in the worst circumstances imaginable. But put an item about a beloved pet or animal in the paper, and the phone lines will explode.

Wilkinson's mother arrived at the office to care for the dog, and we eventually turned it over to Ron Riggle, the new humane officer for the Delaware County SPCA.

There was one other thought I could not get out of my mind yesterday afternoon.

It was the image of that woman slowly walking out of our parking lot, apparently looking back at her puppy several times. How sad is that?

I'm not really sure what the circumstances were surrounding exactly why she needed to give it up. She indicated in her note that she was in a new apartment and the dog's barking was creating a problem.

Oddly enough, in the couple of hours it was here, it did not bark once.

I hope it finds a great new home.

I'd like to thank all those who reached out to us yesterday with concern for the animal.

Many suggested we keep it as sort of a Daily Times mascot.

They even came up with a name.

"Scoop."

They only confirmed what I've always thought about our readers. They have big hearts, especially when it comes to animals.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just make sure Michael Vick doesn't get ahold of her.